Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Show n Tell


About a month ago, my 12 year old son and I took a 3 hour trip to pick up a new lab puppy. So on our way home, we decided to stop and visit a couple antique stores. We had so much fun together looking at old stuff. Clay had found some old duck decoys, old pistols, rifles and other hunting related stuff that he thought was neat. He really wanted to bring home an old blank pistol to use for training his new lab to hunt, but we didn't get it. I was afraid to spend the money on something that might not work! He really enjoyed browsing through the store though and I'm glad.

I had found something that I found very interesting and it was an old, a really old wooden baby walker. I had never seen anything like it! I looked at the bottom of the seat and if I remember right, it was dated 1903. The tray appears to be partly broken but everything else was well put together! Isn't this walker neat? We don't see very many handmade stuff anymore. It's pretty much all plastic and factory made now, isn't it? I don't remember exactly what the asking price was but I remember it being $80 something. No, I didn't buy it. I did asked the manager if I could take pictures and she happily said yes. I'm glad I did, I don't think I'll ever see a walker like this one again. It was a neat treasure to see.



Now this neat looking locker below caught my attention when we first walked in the store. This is something I would love to have in my home! I know a perfect place to put it and that would be by our utility room. It would be perfect to store hats, gloves, shoes and other little stuff in it. This one wasn't for sale, just for display only. They did have another locker sitting outside for sale. It was unpainted and a bit rusty. The price for it was a bit too high for me. It's not very often that I'll buy something from an antique store. If I find something that I can use and the price is right, then I might get it. Otherwise, we just like to look around and see some old stuff and see what and how people used things back in the old days. It's a good learning experience for the children. Good history lesson!


Well this is my Show n Tell for today. If you would like to participate or see what others have for Show n Tell. Go over and visit Mary at Raising 4 Godly Men!

2 comments:

Noel said...

I didn't even know they made baby things like that long ago :) Thanks for sharing. By the way, if Tang and coolaid lemonaid clean out the dishwasher, I wonder what it's doint to us!?

b said...

Wouldn't it be fun to give your kids their own school lockers! That was a very fun history trip!
Because of Jesus, Bobbie